Marcus Rashford Has Been Honoured With A Pride Of Britain Award

Forum 3 years ago

Marcus Rashford Has Been Honoured With A Pride Of Britain Award

The Manchester United footballer, 22, has been given a special recognition award for his inspirational efforts, which earlier in the year, resulted in the government extending free school meals over the summer holidays for disadvantaged children.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/c824eada416c801a96fae7311166cd40.jpgA pre-recorded show of the ceremony will air on Sunday, celebrating the winners, which also include Captain Sir Tom Moore and inspirational NHS workers.

Upon receiving the award, Marcus said: “No way!” Adding: “Ultimately no kids should miss meals. For me that should be just standard no matter where you come from.

“If we get that as the new normal then we have made a lot of strides forward.”

He added: “I am extremely humbled but I’d like to think that I am receiving this award on behalf of all of the incredible people who have selflessly stepped up to support their communities during this pandemic.

“I have met many of them and I am no more deserving than them.

“Parents who have sacrificed everything to feed their children during this challenging time, people who are volunteering at the FareShare food banks day in and day out, people who are fighting to protect our most vulnerable children every minute of the day.”

It comes as the government faces mounting pressure to extend free school meals during the holidays. This morning, we told you how paediatricians across the country have each signed an open letter, urging Boris Johnson to U-turn on his decision not to extend the meals to vulnerable children.

Compiled by the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health, the letter condemns the government’s decision, explaining: “Every day, we see the impact of hunger and malnutrition in our work as paediatricians. It is not unusual for us to care for children who don’t have enough to eat or who don’t have access to a substantial meal outside of what is provided in school.

“We call on the UK government to match the pledges of the Welsh and Scottish governments and the Northern Ireland Executive, to continue to provide children from low-income backgrounds with free meals over the coming weeks and to then extend this at least until the Easter school holiday.”

Meanwhile, an online petition created by Marcus has reached nearly 900,000 signatures and thousands of businesses across the country have pledged to support vulnerable children during the half term holidays, offering free meals to those who need them.

The Pride of Britain Awards will air on Sunday 1st November at 9pm on ITV.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Charles Okocha Excited As He
Forum | 2 days ago

Charles Okocha Excited As He's Honoured With Award by Mayor of Brampton in Canada

I’m Honoured To Be Compared With Him – Don Jazzy On Comparison With Young Jonn
Forum | 6 days ago

I’m Honoured To Be Compared With Him – Don Jazzy On Comparison With Young Jonn

Federal Govt. Scholarship & Education Bursary Award for Nigerians, 2023/2024
Forum | 2 weeks ago

Federal Govt. Scholarship & Education Bursary Award for Nigerians, 2023/2024

Awards Shouldn’t Be Only Motivation For Creatives – Actor Jidekene
Forum | 2 weeks ago

Awards Shouldn’t Be Only Motivation For Creatives – Actor Jidekene